Classic Warning Signs of Possible Fraud and Scams
There are several signs that indicate you might be dealing with a scammer.
They include contact from someone:
- Calling or emailing you, claiming to be from the government and asking you to pay money.
- Asking you to pay money or taxes upfront to receive a prize or a gift.
- Asking you to wire them money, send money by courier, or put money on a prepaid card or gift card and send it to them.
- Asking for access to your money-such as your ATM cards, bank accounts, credit cards, or investment accounts.
- Pressuring you to "act now" or else the deal will go away. Or someone who seems to be trying hard to give you a "great deal" without time to answer your questions.
Tip: Remember that if something doesn't seem right, you can always hang up or walk away. Scammers often want you to make a quick decision without thinking about it. Slow down, do your own research about the offer or consult with someone you trust.
Go to main navigation