Avoid Debit Card Fraud
The convenience of using a debit card has made it a fast-growing way to pay. Given that this card is linked directly to your account, it is important to take extra precautions when using your card.
Protect your money with these safety tips:
- Cover the keypad – Block the view of anyone (or a camera) nearby as you key in your PIN at an ATM or register.
- Know the vendor – Skip the debit card for the first couple of times you buy from a new store. For online purchases, it is safer to use your credit card because the money does not come out of your account immediately.
- Keep receipts – Compare them with your statement. Shred anything with your card number before discarding.
- Mark through blank spaces on debit slips – This includes the tip line at restaurants, so the total amount cannot be changed.
- Be vigilant – Check your account regularly.
- Notify us of your travels by filling out our Travel Notification Form – This helps make your travel purchases less problematic.
- Avoid rundown ATMs – They may be fake or compromised machines to capture card information. Be wary of odd ATM requests, such as asking twice for your PIN.
- Memorize your PIN and don’t share it – APCI FCU will never call or email you asking for your PIN.
Source: image.worksGo to main navigation